Monday, April 06, 2009

Thank You, Helen


Moving into a new house before spring is a little like waiting for the hand-dyed silk to come out of the rinse, or waiting for the kiln to open after an overnight firing—you have no idea what's going to pop out of the ground.

I love*Love*LOVE daffodils. I grew up in a part of the country where daffodils don't grow. When I first moved to Washington in 1983, I fell in love with all the spring bulbs, but especially daffodils. Imagine my joy at finding lots of daffodils around my new house and in the lot next door.

I'm grateful to the former owner, Helen, for all the planting she did over the years.

In other signs of spring, a robin is building a nest outside my kitchen window. And a wild turkey strolled past my back porch yesterday and wandered across Jean and Marilyn's garden. We think he might live behind their garage.

It looks like living in this house might be just as much fun as living in a house with a view of National Zoo.

No comments: