Thursday, April 16, 2009

Oops! Thursday

Throughout high school, my mother would tell me on a regular basis what horrible handwriting I had. Always wanting to please her, I spent the entire Christmas break of my junior year recreating my handwriting style. I vividly remember lying on the floor next to the record player, testing loops and curves, starting with A, moving on to B, painstakingly developing a handwriting style that I liked. I would listen to operettas and musical soundtracks singing along at the top of my lungs. I didn't stop until I had a Z that I liked.

When I was done and school started again, I utilized my new handwriting and was quite proud of it.

My mother never noticed and never said a word.

The lesson that came out of that exercise: If you're going to improve something about yourself, do it for yourself, not for anyone else. No one else cares!

No comments: