Thursday, April 02, 2009

Oops! Thursday

I'm instituting a new activity on Amazing Adventures. I've seen a lot of blogs that have TMI (Too Much Information) Thursdays. I'm going to have Oops! Thursday. These will be incidents in my past where I made a fool of myself, or holes I wish I could take a Mulligan on. These sorts of days tend to hang in my brain for years and years. I'm hopeful that by writing about them, I can diminish their presence in my brain and learn from them, decreasing the likelihood of similar incidents in the future.

For the initial installment of Oops! Thursday, I'm remembering a day in my third year of law school. I was sitting in class and the fans were rotating overhead. They were noisy and disruptive, and the longer I sat there, the more obsessed I became with those fans, and the more I wanted them to stop. About 2/3 of the way through the class, I got up to go to the bathroom. As I passed the fan switch on the wall by the door, I quickly rotated it clockwise to turn them down, to slow their rotation and noise. (Righty tighty, lefty loosy, correct?) When I re-entered the classroom, I noted with pleasure that the fans were slower.

After class I felt the need to apologize to the professor for any disruption. I actually had no idea what disruption I had caused. Instead of a clockwise motion turning the fans down, it actually turned them up to the highest speed.

To do: figure out why I become so obsessed with things such as noisy fans, and learn how to turn the obsession down, rather than turning the fans down!

No comments: