Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Shout Yo!

This morning I'd like to give a Youngstown shout out to a fabulous medical service provider.

I've noticed a drop in my visual acuity lately, and decided it was time for a new prescription. I checked my health insurance provider's website, asked my kids where they went, and made an appointment at Eye Care Associates with Dr. Robert Gerberry, their optometrist.

The entire visit ran smoothly, from start to finish. The office was spacious, clean and bright. (I went to the Western Reserve office as I needed a Saturday appointment.) The assistant who took all my information to enter into the computer was pleasant and thorough. Then I was taken to a comfortable waiting area where I waited only three or four minutes. The technician took me to an area where they had all the latest machines to test for glaucoma and to take eye measurements. She put the dilation drops in my eyes, and led me back to the waiting area for ten minutes or so, then took me to the examining room. The technician did the preliminary tests for the new prescription, then the doctor came in. He had a genteel chairside manner. He's been in practice for over 30 years. He knows his science, but he is also up-to-date on the latest findings in the field. He confirmed the technician's findings. In addition, he satisfactorily answered a question I've been posing to my previous optometrist for 20 years, explaining about sinus cavities and tear production and dry eyes. And he gave me some sample drops to try for this nagging condition.

He wrote the prescription for new glasses, and I walked across the hall to the optical showroom. I looked around on my own for about five minutes, then an optical technician came to help me find new glasses. He was friendly and kind, listening to my concerns. He helped me find a pair of frameless glasses that can still be plopped up on my head—just what I wanted! The office assistant wrote up the order efficiently, took my deposit, and gave me an extra copy of the invoice to file with my insurance company. I will return in a week to pick up the finished glasses.

Every person I dealt with on this visit was happy and friendly. There was not a frown or strident voice in the entire busy office.

Since my visit, I've heard messages on WYSU stating that Eye Care Associates is a supporter of public radio. I always like patronizing businesses that support public radio and television.

Do you have an eye situation that needs attention? I highly recommend Dr. Gerberry and Eye Care Associates. The Mahoning Valley is richer for having medical professionals like them in the area.

No comments: