Wednesday, April 02, 2008

On Being Struck by Lightning

I've been thinking a lot lately about lightning striking a new relationship, versus the more plebeian type (for our generation of singles) where the relationship goes from 0 to 60 in six months or so.

The beauty, the satisfaction, of the relationship that is struck by lightning is the sense that all is well, all will work out and develop smoothly if not slowly.

Starting a new relationship is like being in high school again and it's horrible! Did I do this right? Did I do this wrong? Does he like me? What should I read into his not calling daily?

The relationship that begins with lightning striking the table imbues the participants with a self-confidence that enables them to go on in the relationship just being themselves. All nervousness flies away. Conversations flow easily, and dead air is not threatening.

Mr. Match said to me, back in our day, that we had gone from first date to "old married" overnight. And we both enjoyed it enormously (at least for a time).

There's a lot to be said for the comfort of "old married".

No comments: