Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Next Tomorrow

I’ve mentioned, probably more than once, that each night when I get home Ridley asks if I have to work “tomorrow”. She loves sleeping with me and knows it’s only allowed on nights when I don’t have to work in the morning.

We’ve developed a kinship we never had in Tucson when she was younger. From birth, she has been a “Mama’s girl”. She would come to me and stay with me, but she always preferred to be with her “Rara”, as the children call Jaci.

I never had girls and was always somewhat intimidated and scared by the thought of female children. My mother always made it clear to me that I didn’t want daughters. I’ve had a couple of stepdaughters who worked very hard to make my life miserable, but I do have to admit they were all teenagers or older at the time they were wreaking their havoc. This little Ridley is a joy to behold, and of course I hope she won’t turn into a terror when she becomes a teenager. So far the signs are good.

When she was a babe-in-crib, I always said that when she was awake, she was smiling. She was the happiest little beauty, and I find that astonishing given the number of health issues (each with much associated pain) she has endured.

Last night, as she was getting ready to go to bed, she turned to her Rara and asked, “Does Grandma have to work tomorrow?” Rara answered, “Yes”. Then Ridley asked, “Next tomorrow?” Rara again answered “Yes”. And Ridley persisted. “Next tomorrow?”

I love this new phrase she has invented. It reminds me of my former co-worker Raj, who struggled with some aspects of English. He would say “today morning” instead of “this morning”. I guess whatever works to convey one’s meaning is fine. And Ridley gets her point across just fine. She lives for “next tomorrow” being Saturday so she can cuddle up with her grandma.

We’re both so lucky!

No comments: