Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Having It All

I'm reading Cathie Black's "Basic Black," a business handbook written primarily for women, but of use to anyone who darkens an office door.

She talks about "having it all," of the need for women to have it all in their lives. But she says you have to define what "all" is. The better term she uses is "360 degree" life.

For some women, having it all means children-spouse-career-friends and success in all areas. But the definition of "all" need not be the same for everyone.

That got me to thinking about what my "all" is. For me it's being available for my children, being involved in the lives of my grandchildren, having a job where I feel my performance is respected, having the opportunity to make music, and having the opportunity to be creative with fiber. Wow, that's a lot. I also think I want a man in my life, to some undefined extent, but when I look at that list (and when I look at my calendar!), I'm not sure where he would fit in.

What is your definition of "all?"

3 comments:

Traveler said...

Winning the lottery and having Ashley Judd on my left arm and Marisa Tomei on my right arm!

Traveler

And then I woke up.

TJ said...

K in my life in some meaningful and ongoing way, the free time my current job affords me, and ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING CREATIVE WITH THAT FREE TIME!!!

Oh, and maybe another $10K a year. But they'd probably want me to actually work for that.

jc said...

Lee, here's the difference. My "all" is reality; yours is fantasy. (I think!)