Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I Hate When That Happens

My 10:10 pm flight out of D/FW last night was delayed so that we finally were wheels up at close to 11:30 CDT, which meant we got into Tucson at about 11:30 PDT. Fortunately my bag had taken an earlier flight, so I didn't have to wait for the interminably slow Tucson baggage handlers. I got home a little after midnight and finally got to sleep around 1:00.

This morning I woke up around 4:00 and thought it was awfully light for 4:00, but my bedside clock said 4:00, so who was I to argue? I then realized today was the deadline for producing the press release for the Tucson Chamber Artists 2007-08 season, which I had not yet started. But by the time I made this realization, it was only around 5:20, so I have plenty of time, right? I can crank this out in an hour.

Then I went into the kitchen to get a glass of iced tea and put on the steel cut oats for breakfast. The microwave clock was begging to be reset and I looked at the kitchen wall clock. Horrors! It said 7:20. How did that happen? How did it get from 5:20 to 7:20 in the blink of an eye?

Oh, right, my bedroom clock resets itself after power outages and doesn't bother to tell me there might be a discrepancy in what it says and reality.

As I'm pondering what to do, whether to call in sick after three days of vacation (actually 6.5 hours of vacation and 17.5 hours of leave without pay), I realize that July has thirty-one days and I can sneak time at work today to crank out the press release and get everyone's approval before sending it off to Cathy Burch (every Tucson musician's favorite person) tomorrow.

Note to self: when arriving home from trip during monsoon season, coordinate bedside clock with cell phone. Always!

No comments: