Sunday, June 20, 2010

Trip Report - Chicago Birthday Celebration - Day 3

At the end of a busy day, I can hardly remember what happened at the beginning! Today is Sunday and we're staying downtown, not on the Magnificent Mile, so it's a challenge finding places open unless one wants to eat in the expensive hotel restaurant.

We set out this morning just walking to see what we could find. We finally found a very nice franchise sandwich shop named Cosi. I had a fab whole wheat wrap with scrambled eggs, mozzarella, spinach and artichoke spread. After breakfast we meandered back to the hotel, where I iced my knee for half an hour or so. At 12:30 we left the hotel, went to the theatre box office to get tickets for balcony seats, and went back to Argo Tea for some noshing before the show.

[Editing on Tuesday afternoon—I finished this post and, I thought, published it on Monday morning, but now don't know what happened to it. I will try to remember what I said …!]

Billy Elliott was fabulous. As an accomplished musician, I will tell you that it's hard to perform in a way that mimics not being able to do your art well. These sweet little dancers, in ballet class, doing jetes across the floor that look like they don't know how to do jetes. They are incredible. And the Ford Theatre is exquisitely beautiful. Being able to attend this show in this venue was a wonderful experience.

Our evening meal was a low-key relaxed time at Singha Thai, followed by a long walk along Michigan Avenue and Millenium Park. A gray day had turned into an incredibly beautiful evening. (See the photo for Day 4 post.)

I don't remember what brilliant thing I said to close the post when I wrote it the first time, but let me just tell you I had a fabulous birthday celebration, hosted by a kind, generous, loving man.

I am so lucky!

No comments: