Friday, June 25, 2010

Brain, Please Don't Fail Me Now

Yesterday morning I glanced at the family's shared calendar and realized I had to go to Akron-Canton Airport today to pick up the vacationers when they returned from Denver. The calendar said 1:20, so I had the perfect opportunity to schedule a detour to my favorite salon and hairstylist in Fairlawn to have repair done to my Horrible Haircut.

I scheduled my haircut for 10:30, which would give me plenty of time for some lowlights and a cut, then time to work on my laptop while waiting for the family to arrive. After picking up Jaci's van, I started driving toward Akron, with just enough time to make the entire schedule work.

About a third of the way to Akron, I glanced toward the back of the van and realized, to my horror, that the kids' booster seats were not in the van. Someone had borrowed the van in their absence, removed the boosters, and forgotten to return them to their rightful seats.

Oops!

When I spoke with Jaci to tell her the situation, I asked if they were at the airport yet. "No," she replied, "we don't have to go for several hours." I said, "But you're arriving here at 1:20, right?" "No," she said, as if to a child, "we're leaving at 1:20."

Oops!

Hair done, I quickly called one of my work buddies and hooked up with two friends for lunch. Then I sat in the Fairlawn Barnes & Noble for an hour-and-a-half of work. Then I headed for Canton and sat in the Border's for another couple of hours.

When I arrived at Border's, I found the restroom to prepare for settling into a chair for two hours. I noticed that the restroom was particularly gross, and thought that unusual for a ladies' room. Then, when I left my stall, I noticed a urinal. Hmmm, I thought. That's also unusual for a ladies' room. I washed my hands as quickly as possible, then opened the door to inspect the sign. In big white letters on a black sign: "Men's".

Oops!

If you find my brain, would you please return it to me?!

No comments: