Thursday, April 01, 2010

Knock, Knock

Happy April Fool's Day

I am particularly partial to jokes with a musical twist. I'll share several with you today.

The first is particularly sophomoric. My daddy would tell it in the operating room, and I remember my high school boyfriend's sister complaining after hearing it when she was a student nurse making her circulation through my daddy's operating room.

There was this guy who got three kittens. He named the first "Fluffy" because he was the fluffiest. He named the second "Sleepy" because he was the sleepiest. And he named the third "Liberace" because he was the pianist. (Peeingest—get it?")

That joke never failed to make me laugh. I guess that tells you how rigidly we were raised in the South if someone found that to be a risqué joke!

I learned my next favorite musical joke when I was about 18, and it remains on my top five list of told and retold jokes.

Knock, Knock.
Who's there?
Sam and Janet.
Sam and Janet who?
Sam and Janet Evening (sung to the tune of "Some Enchanted Evening")

Love that joke!!

There's another one about Roy Rogers, wearing his fabulous, expensive new cowboy boots, hopping on Trigger and riding out through the desert where a puma runs up and grabs his new boots off his feet and runs off. Roy continues riding through the desert trying to find the puma so he can get his boots back. The punch line is "Pardon ie, Roy, is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?", sung to the tune of Chattanooga Choo Choo. The musical aspect tickles me, but there's also the length of the joke. It's one of those you can just drag on and on by throwing in more and more details, thus making the punch line completely unexpected.

There's another my DC singer ex-IBMer friend Rob likes to tell about C, E-flat, and G walking into a bar. The bartender looks at them and says, "I'm sorry, we don't serve minors." That joke can also be extended with more musical twists by changing the names of the notes who walk in. Major, minor, augmented, diminished. Love it!

The book I'm reading, and not really enjoying, gave me one more musical joke.

A guy is alone for Christmas, so he goes to a diner to treat himself to a little Christmas breakfast. He orders the Eggs Benedict. A little while later, the waiter brings his meal in a hubcap. He looks at it and says, "Hey man, what's with the hubcap?" And the waiter replies, "There's no plate like chrome for the Hollandaise."

Get it? "There's no place like home for the holidays."

Okay, I guess you gotta be a musician with a sick sense of humor to enjoy these.

Ridley, almost seven years old, said se was going to play an April Fool's joke on her daddy by telling him it was a day off from work. I told her that wouldn't work for someone who worked for himself. I don't think she got it. Ah, the innocence of youth.

And now that I've told you the joke from the book I'm reading, I can finally delete it from my iPhone without finishing it. The luxury of age is not having to slog through a book just because you bought it!

Feel free to comment back here with your favorite joke. Or just enjoy the silliness going on all around you today.

(Thanks to Rob for e-mailing me the corrections to today's post.)

2 comments:

JLM said...

I first heard the "Liberace" joke on "The Benny Hill Show" years ago. I now own a dog who I should have named Liberace.

jc said...

😊