Friday, April 16, 2010

Do What You Know How to Do

Last night it was my distinct pleasure to provide background piano music for a political fundraiser. The event was benefiting Bob Hagan's reelection bid to the Ohio State Legislature. Playing beautiful music is something I know how to do. I've been doing it for many, many years.

A run for elected office requires many tasks and much help. My time (thanks to distant job and long commute) is limited. Meeting new people presents a challenge for me with my desire to stay in the background. And I'm uncomfortable asking people for contributions. But what I can do is help create an elegant environment that might put donors in a more expansive frame of mind.

For ten years I played the piano at Nordstrom in the Washington, DC area. At that time in the Pentagon City store, the piano was located next to Salon Shoes. (If you're not a Nordstrom regular, "Salon Shoes" translates to top quality, expensive shoes with designer labels.) Many men through the years would come up to me and tell me how much they enjoyed my music, and that they bought their wives a couple of extra pair of shoes just so the husbands could sit and listen.

If you translate that attitude from "Beautiful Music to Shop By" to "Beautiful Music to Support a Candidate By", then I think my donation of music from my brain and fingers is just as valuable as the time someone gives to sit at a phone bank or drive around town installing yard signs. The music is just what I know how to do.

A friend of mine came over to speak to me. She said, "I heard the music as I stepped off the elevator. I thought they had a sound system going. Then I saw you." She said how much she enjoyed having the live music in the room.

Another friend said, "It's the most elegant fundraiser I've been to around here."

I'm hopeful these donors and others like them will extend their thought process to something like, "If Rep. Hagan and his staff can plan an event like this, imagine how organized and powerful he will be in the legislature—with his staff's support—representing the residents of the Mahoning Valley." Maybe I'm being naïve, but maybe not.

There's always someone who can use your help if you can just find a way to tap your talents and skills.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Well I know how much elegance your playing added to the events that I did - even more when we turned the piano around so everyone could see you lovely face as well. Miss those days..Did I read the sign correctly - a democrat:)