Thursday, April 08, 2010

Six Months' Planning Window

The Light in the PiazzaIt's April. That means in six months PianoLady (my college piano duet partner) and I will meet on Broadway for our annual NYC weekend. We chatted at length last night about potential shows to see this year. Oh, and aging. She turns 60 twenty days before I do. She has two children in college and one still in high school. I have grandchildren who are almost 9 and 7 and think they're teenagers (not that there's anything wrong with that)!

As I reminisced about previous years' trips and the shows we've seen, I wanted to listen to some wonderful music again, so loaded "The Light in the Piazza" soundtrack onto my iPhone. Oh, how luscious this music is. Adam Guettel—yet another incredibly talented Interlochen alum—did a brilliant job on this score.

And, for the first time since first hearing this lovely music in 2005, I have someone in my life. A someone about whom I can say, "You are good. You are good to me."

If you want to spend 99 cents on something quite wonderful, download "Say It Somehow" and listen. Or download any of the songs from "The Light in the Piazza." It's, simply, fabulous.


[Clara]
Why don't you trace it on my hand
Or make a song
Do anything

Say it somehow
I will understand
I know you

You are good

[Fabrizio]
The song inside you
This I know
It's like a melody
Like there you go just now

Say it somehow
Somehow you can show me

[Both]
Say it somehow
Anyway you can
You know me
You are good
Oh, you are good
You are good to me

I know this sound
Of touch me
I think I hear
The sound of love
Your arms around me

Ah

Shout and dance
With wings

[Clara]
Or say it silently

[Fabrizio]
Tell me things


I keep the musical score on my piano. Two weeks ago, Ridley was playing the piano and looked up at the book. She picked it up and read aloud, "The Light in the Pizza." I laughed 'til tears were streaming down my cheeks.

PianoLady and I are thinking maybe this is the year for the "West Side Story" revival.

What's your suggestion?
- - - - - - - - - -
P.S. PianoLady did some preliminary searching, and determined that the West Side Story run appears to be ending in September, before our October trip. More searching ahead.

No comments: