Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Trying It On for Size

Words. I'm talking about words.

The Jazzman and I haven't settled into pet names or phone conversation sign offs for each other yet. It's funny and awkward, to experiment with words in a new relationship to see what fits.

I've always been a pushover for guys who call me Babe. I guess it has a 60s feel to it, and takes me back to being a teenager. Likewise, anyone who calls me Crews or Crewser elicits a smile. (My younger son called me Crews last weekend, and I laughed out loud.)

The Southern Belle tends to Honey and Darlin' and Sweetheart. He's become my beau in Facebook references, 'cause boyfriend just doesn't seem to fit, and when you speak "Friend", people can't hear the capital F.

I like "Good night, Dear", as it has a warm, soft sound to my ear, but it doesn't seem to roll off my tongue.

I've been hearing coworkers say "Love you. Bye." to their loved ones for two years now and feeling jealous every time I heard it. But, likewise, that doesn't roll off my tongue. Or the Jazzman's.

Saying "love you" or "love ya" or "I love you" doesn't yet come automatically. So when you hear it, you know it's well thought out and real. Genuine. Sincere.

Actually, I'll take real, genuine, and sincere over glib any day of the week.

What do you call your honey?

No comments: