Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reluctant Memories

I cannot let today pass without paying tribute to John Russell Ross, who died eleven years ago today. The Blossom Festival Chorus rehearsals for the July 5 concert are especially precious to me for two reasons:

  1. We're performing Aaron Copland's "Simple Gifts", which JoEllen Dutton sang at our wedding on March 16, 2006, and at J.R.'s memorial service.

  2. We're performing Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess". J.R. and I sang this with The Washington Chorus long before we started dating, and I sang "Lawd, I'm On My Way" to him in the ambulance on our way to hospice, just moments before his death.


I was most fortunate to share a life of music and love with him. He is a part of my thoughts and memories with each day that passes.

I didn't have time this morning to scan in a photo to post here. I went to the Washington Chorus website to grab the photo they have had posted there for eleven years, promoting donations to his memorial fund. Alas, they have removed all references to the memorial fund, along with the photo. Time marches on.

1 comment:

Ypsi said...

Very bittersweet. Thinking of you!