Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lightning Strikes

Okay, I couldn't resist. When I learned some of Gov. Sanford's e-mails to his mistress had been published, I had to find and read a bit. He's obviously smart, well-written, and a romantic. Or knows how to say/write what a girl wants to hear.

I've written many times about "lightning striking the table" when I met Mr. Match. I've moaned since the death of that relationship about the desire for and inability to find lightning strikes.

Gov. Sanford wrote "How in the world this lightening (sic) strike snuck up on us I am still not quite sure."

Wouldn't I love to find a[n unmarried] man to have those feelings with, to say those lovely words to me.

Many have written that we as Americans spend too much time obsessing about monogamy. Many were appalled at the firestorm of words and threats that the Monica-gate affair invoked. Many have said that, basically, what goes on behind closed doors should stay behind closed doors.

And yet, what has become of personal integrity? When someone has the discipline to run and endure a political campaign, he or she should have the personal integrity to honor commitments made or vows repeated. With Gov. Sanford, there's not only the issue that he lied to, misled, or duped his wife (so we are led to believe). There's the bigger issue that he had a legal obligation to hand over the leadership of the state anytime he left the country. And he did not do so.

He misbehaved in, basically, every area of his life. It is right and good that he has resigned from the leadership of the Republican Governors Association. If I were a voter in the state of South Carolina, I would insist that he resign from the governorship. I feel for his wife and, especially, for his four young sons.

Men: Have integrity! Be a role model! Stop thinking with your appendages!!

No comments: