Friday, August 31, 2007

Music is My Religion

For those of you who were a tad put-off by yesterday's statements about religion, I do want to assure you that I do feel. It just takes Fauré or Mozart or Lauridsen to engender those feelings.

This morning I'm listening to the Mozart Requiem and am, as always blown away my his incredible counterpoint in the fugue that is the Kyrie. (To say I love fugues is an understatement. They're so geeky!) The man was a genius. And I could cry every time I hear or sing his setting of the Hostias.

Hostias et preces tibi, Domine, laudis offerimus.
Tu suscipe pro animabus illis, quarum hodie memoriam facimus:
fac eas,
Domine, de morte transire ad vitam, quam olim Abrahae
promisisti, et
semini ejus.


Translation:
Sacrifices and prayers of praise, Lord,
we offer to You.
Receive them in behalf of those souls
we commemorate today.
And let them, Lord,
pass from death to life,
which was promised to Abraham
and his descendants.

It seems everyone has a religion. The word just means different things to different people.

No comments: