Friday, August 17, 2007

But It's a Dry Heat

Note to self: The next time you leave town for a week and turn your air conditioning off in the house, hire someone to come in five hours before your scheduled arrival and turn it back on! Arriving home at 12:30 a.m. to a 92 degree inside temperature (and an 82 degree outside temperature) is no fun.

A couple of anecdotes before I call it a morning:

Riah lost her first tooth yesterday. (Yes, she's only four years and three months, but then she was ten-and-a-half pounds at birth and walked out of her mother's womb.) This morning Boston reached under her pillow and retrieved the tooth fairy's reward and woke her up to show it to her. They were both sleeping in my room and I had been lying there for half an hour trying to wake up, trying to keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't pull a stunt like this. I got up to go to the bathroom, certain that he was still asleep. In the time it took me to empty my bladder, he was up, hand under pillow, and shaking her awake. And then he told his mother some sort of lie about the whole incident.

I've been kicking myself all day, trying to figure out how I could have prevented it. Only after 12 hours of kicking myself, somewhere in the air between Dallas and Tucson, did I realize that if they had been sleeping in their own room, he would have done the same thing and there would have been nothing I could have done to prevent it.

The continual competition between these two is something to behold. May they both grow up to be Olympic athletes and turn that competition into something good.

Last night we went out for a farewell dinner before I left town. Ty and I have been reading "The Four-Hour Work Week" and absolutely love this book. We're both trying to come up with the ideas that will enable us to accomplish what we want while still supporting our families. We were talking about the book as we drove to dinner. Tyler ended a statement with the words, "pursue our passion." Ridley, in her somewhat awkward manner of speech due to the configuration of her top and bottom teeth, asked, "what's 'sue passion'?" Tyler gave a layman's definition for her. Then as she jumped out of the van to go into the restaurant, she exclaimed, "I want to pursue my passion!"

May her wish come true!

No comments: