Thursday, December 07, 2006

Thin Skin is for Oranges

The anonymous comment the other day upset me so much that I considered briefly discontinuing this blog. Then for a while I was thinking about the utility of the blog. I started out writing about the horrors of online dating for the over-50 crowd. Since my family's decision to move away from Tucson, I've been overwhelmed with constant thoughts of who I am and where I'm going and haven't been obsessing about men and relationships.

As far as relationships go, I'm very content with what I've got going now. I don't know how content he is — we have too much else to talk about whenever we're together. However, as Tyler said to me regarding a previous man who was totally noncommunicative, "Mom, he keeps asking you out, so he must like you." I don't think he's gonna fall in love with me, but I think he's in like with me. If he's just killing time with me until something better comes along, I don't want to know about it. Please leave me alone in my blissful ignorance.

And as far as readers' reaction to things I write, there's a simple solution: if you don't like what you're reading, stop reading. You don't need to take a sledge hammer to my head. I do that well enough all by myself.

And yes, I do suffer from thin skin. My kids have been working on me for years to correct that physical defect. It's better. It ain't perfect. But it's better.

No comments: