Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Easy Come, Easy Go

I just searched on "easy" through the life of this blog and spent a few interesting minutes rereading old posts. I started this blog on July 1st. Boy, a lot has happened in 5-1/2 months, huh?

I didn't hear from Frank yesterday, which felt very strange. But when I called him on Monday afternoon, we chatted for four or five minutes and he seemed very distracted. So I determined not to call him on Tuesday. Of course I immediately jump to the conclusion that he's found someone else to take his interest away from me.

I think the longer one dates, the more relationships one is into and out of, the easier it is to break it off, and the less deeply invested one gets in a relationship. Anyway, I think that's what I think. I may have to mull this over for a while.

This is the fourth three-month relationship I've had this year. I don't like that. I don't want to be somebody's date — I want to be somebody's Girlfriend.SignificantOther.Lover.Partner. And I think I figured something else out (along with everything else I've been thinking I've got figured out lately): I think I should not count on a handful of dates turning into a relationship until the man in the equation hides his profile or removes it. Oh, and by the way, I'm not ever never doing online dating again. I'm done.

Only the Lemonade Tycoon hid his profile after he started dating me. (And that without discussion, so I don't really know what drove him to hide it.) NoseHair from El Paso and Mr. Match and Frank all still had profiles out long after they were spending time every day on the phone with me and, in the case of Mr. Match and Frank, having three or five or seven dates a week with me. Frank checks his profile on Yahoo and Cupid every morning, and (I just learned this weekend) also goes and searches on Match to see who's new and might require his attention. (Okay, that last statement about why he searches on Match — that's just my interpretation. WhoTF knows why he does this. He's got me, for God's sake. Why isn't that enough to satisfy his curiosity about women for a while.)

I'm pondering Washington, DC. I'm pondering Youngstown. I'm pondering Cave Junction, Oregon. And many other cities. I saw (online) a fabulous Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired home in Youngstown yesterday that I would kill, absolutely kill to own and relish living in. If I sold the mountain property, I could afford it.

So that makes me wonder if it's only the men in Tucson who are stoopid about relationships and love and recognizing a good women when they see her. I think Washington is too big and overwhelming to find someone, and men there are all about their careers and getting ahead. How about the Midwest? I wonder if men in the Midwest would be different, more self-assured, more capable of being satisfied with a bird in the hand. (I can't wait to hear what my friend 1800-miles-to-the-north has to say about this!)

My darling DIL describes herself on her blog as having "Midwestern roots". Maybe there's something to be said for that.

No comments: