Friday, December 08, 2006

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe

It takes two to tango.
Tea for two and two for me, me for you and you for me.
It's a two-way street.

At what point in a relationship do you become a couple? I guess there's no hard-and-fast rule, no timetable.

I tend to move very easily into coupledom. I consider every activity I participate in, every invitation I accept, as a couple invitation, a couple event. True, I don't automatically accept for both of us. I check with the other person to see if he wants to participate. And I'd do that even if we were married or cohabiting. But the only invitation I'd accept alone would be my Girls' Night Out group that meets once a month.

So I am taken aback when my supposed partner accepts an invitation for a social event and tells me about it afterwards. Yes, it's my problem, not his. But it feels uncomfortable and jiggles, not rocks, my little world.

Oh, to be a part of a real twosome, not an imaginary one.

No comments: