Thursday, July 22, 2010

Music on West Federal

Tuesday night I had the distinct pleasure of experiencing "Pearl and the Beard" at the Lemon Grove in downtown Youngstown. I had been given a heads-up from my dear friend Mary in Tucson, whose daughter, Molly, shares an apartment in NYC with one of the band members.

I didn't do research. I didn't determine what genre of music the band plays or how loud the evening was going to be. I just said, "I'm going", and kept pasting the band's info on my Facebook page to try to get more people to attend.

I was not pleased with the attendance. But once the band started playing, the crowd few locals seated at tables, observing the band, were all wearing face-wide smiles. The music presented by this band was a treat!

The band consists of Jeremy Styles on guitar, Emily Hope Price on cello, and Jocelyn Mackenzie on all other instruments. And they all sing. These kids rock! The music was: a) musical; b) humorous; c) clever; d) extremely enjoyable. These musicians are very talented and totally into what they're doing.

As I hugged Jocelyn goodbye after the show, I told her I would look forward to watching their future success.

These are kids who can make it!

And I'll also admit here that I'm ashamed I assumed all music at Lemon Grove was loud and unenjoyable to Old People. I'll be keeping my eye on Jacob's schedule of performers to find more mid-week treats like Pearl and the Beard!

(Mary, thanks so much for the heads-up.)

P.S. As I proofread this post and look at the pictures again, I have to tell you what a visual treat it was to see the flashing "Open" sign in the front door over their head. I love that sign. It just felt so urban and heart-warming. Trust me!

No comments: