Monday, February 09, 2009

Question of the Day - no, Month - no, Year

What do you do when a prized possession no longer fits you or your space or your life? I wrote on moving day about my frustration and astonishment when "The King and the Queen of the Prom" wouldn't fit on its designated wall in the new house.

Let me preface this discussion by reasserting that I love this painting. The bright colors energize and delight me, and the musical elements echo my life.

I've been contemplating options. I offered it on permanent loan to the Butler Institute of American Art, but the director told me they are short on storage space, so declined my offer. The option I mentioned in the previous post is to deframe-destretch-roll-move upstairs-unroll-restretch-reframe-hang in the sitting room. When I look closely at the impeccable construction of the frame, I can't imagine that happening. Yesterday I had an epiphany as I sat in the living room, staring at the painting. What if I had the very large doorway to the living room narrowed 18"-24"? That seems like an inspired solution. But when I e-mailed Tyler to ask his opinion, he responded that he thought I was insane.

Help me out here: What would you do? Is there an association of [art museums, museums of American art, museums of contemporary art] that I could poll to see if anyone wants it? Do I just put it in the unheated garage and pray it doesn't deteriorate too badly. Do I have an "out with the old, in with the new" party and let people take their frustrations out on this canvas? Do I offer it on eBay and say the buyer has to figure out how to ship it to his or her location? The Cedars has similar paintings on their walls—would they want it? Does Dana School of Music have an empty wall they'd like to fill?

This problem is taking up way too much space in my brain. I simply don't know how to solve it.

5 comments:

Janko said...

the youngstown business incubator has art thoughtout it. maybe it could borrow a new piece...

Jenn said...

If that's a doorway you don't need, you could just close it up entirely. Or conversely, pick a long enough wall and fill in any wondows.(I'm totally serious).

Jan Crews said...

Jenn, I don't want to lose any windows -- the light is too important to me. That doorway is about six or seven feet wide, so I don't think losing 18" would be a big deal. I think maybe Tyler's concern was the cost -- that the cost of narrowing that door would exceed the value of the painting and alter the integrity of the house.

Would I need an architect to plan such a change, or could a good design-and-build person do it? Does such an activity come up in your studies?

Jan Crews said...

Janko, that might work. After you said that, I started wondering about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I've never been there, but wonder if they have an art gallery or would be interested in this piece.

I'm so ambivalent now about this issue!

Jenn said...

I don't think you'd need an architect- just a qualified carpenter/ millworker. But it would probably be expensive, and without seeing the plans of the house I can't attest to how it would alter the character of the house.

I would say that if you aren't willing to give up a window for the painting, then that's a sign it's time for the painting to find a new home.