Sunday, February 08, 2009

Thoughtfulness in the Young

The babes slept over last night so their parents could attend the gala benefitting the Montessori school. (Jaci was deeply involved in this event and I was happy to see her Tweet last night that it was a successful evening.)

We had gone to Giant Eagle to get breakfast items, and I got them each an activity book. Boston chose a kitten sticker book and Ridley chose a Wall-E water painting book. Boston brought his into bed and placed a few more stickers before we turned out the lights. When he was finished for the evening, he reached across me to place his book on my nightstand. As we was taking his hand away, he said, "Excuse my reach."

I beg your pardon? What seven-and-a-half year old boy says, "Excuse my reach." I mentally saluted his parents as I laid my head on the pillow.

This morning we had ate most of our breakfast in the kitchen, then Ridley brought the rest of her [dry] Frosted Mini-Wheats upstairs to the sitting room so they could continue watching the Pink Panther DVD. When she finished, she turned to me and said, "I want some more Mini-Wheats." I asked, "You're going to make me go clear back downstairs to get those?" She smiled mischievously and said, "Yes."

Before I could put my knitting down and ease my soft-casted foot back into my hard shoe, Boston had paused the Pink Panther, picked up Ridley's bowl, and headed for the kitchen to get her refill. When I thanked him, he said, "I don't want you to have to walk downstairs with your bad leg."

Sweet, sweet, sweet children. And brilliant, consistently vigilant parents.

No comments: