Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kimono as Art


Among my long list of interests, I include silk. I dye silk, paint silk, quilt silk, sew silk, bead silk, stencil silk, and just generally love silk. I take classes in all sorts of techniques for working with silk. In a class I took three years ago, I met Karen Miller, an incredible artist who works in silk.

Karen flew to Cleveland from Oregon yesterday to take in the Canton Museum of Art's current exhibition, "Kimono as Art." She had e-mailed and suggested I join her. I almost begged off, as work has been just horrific. But I needed to get some art in my life and escape from the work stress for a couple of hours, so I agreed to meet her.

What an incredible exhibition of a master's work. I could pull every superlative from my vocabulary, and still not have sufficient words to tell you how awestruck I was to view these silk pieces of art this evening.



If you live within a 4-5 hour drive from Canton, it would be worth your while to travel and take in this exhibition. You may never again have the opportunity to see any fiberart quite as special as Itchiku Kubota’s life-long body of work.

Photo Credit

No comments: