Monday, January 26, 2009

Ke-Rappp!


If you have known me long or know me well, if you have visited my home in the past five years, you know of my passion for George Huffman's "The King and the Queen of the Prom." This was a commissioned piece, based on Billy Joel's "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant."

I used to choose houses based on the size of my grand piano. Now Tyler and Jaci have that burden, and I choose houses based on the size of this painting, a mere 11' 4" long. Oops, when I looked at this house, I was thinking it was 9' long. Big Oops.

I thought TKATQOTP was going to fit in the living room and have been planning that room based on that fact. When the movers brought it into the living room today, I instantly realized I was wrong-wrong-wrong.

If you look directly above the "Parkway Diner" sign, you'll see the end of the wall where I thought it would hang. The light in the background is the kitchen light. Damn.

Now I've got to find some artist or framing guru who will 1) remove the painting from the frame; 2) remove the canvas from the stretchers; 3) move the canvas carefully upstairs to the family room; 4) take the frame apart; 5) move the frame upstairs; 6) reassemble the frame; 7) place the canvas back on the stretchers; 8) place the stretched canvas back in the frame; and 9) hang it.

Damn.

The photo above is taken on my iPhone with very low light in the living room. Here's a photo in glorious, living color, taken in my house in Continental Ranch, NW Tucson, where I lived from 2003 to 2006. Aren't those colors incredible? Can you understand why I'm so passionate about this work of art?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm assuming it needs to be disassembled because it can't make the corner(s) required to get it upstairs? Where there is a wall long enough to hold it? A shame there's not a big enough window you could slide it in through upstairs.

Jan Crews said...

Yes, the ceiling over the stairs is too low for the painting to go up. Someone at my book club last night suggested calling people at the Butler Institute of American Art and getting a resource from them. Surely they've had to deal with similar problems. (Or maybe I'll just put it on permanent loan to them and then my kids won't have burn the painting when I die rather than go through this process in reverse!)