Monday, April 25, 2011

Learning by Doing

Probably the biggest challenge with getting one's feet wet in any new venture is learning how to use the available tools.

My Etsy store shelves are holding a bunch of this and that—things I've lovingly made and things I'm tired of working around.

My biggest mistake, to date, was in not understanding the shipping profile. The user can set up several shipping profiles that will pre-fill some of the shipping options based on what is being shipped and where it's going.

I thought I was indicating I would only ship to the U.S. What I really said was I would charge the same price ($4.95 - Flat Rate Envelope or Small Box) regardless of where it's going.

I was thrilled last night as we were returning home from Easter with the Jazzman's family in Columbus to read in my e-mail that I had sold a pattern off Etsy. This morning, as I was preparing the pattern to ship, I realized it was going to Canada and that the cost of shipping would be about 5 cents more than the total cost and shipping the buyer had paid.

Live and learn. And be grateful the buyer didn't live across an ocean!!

No comments: