Monday, April 18, 2011

Follow-Up on Overdue Decluttering

As I mentioned in Overdue Decluttering, the Jazzman and I went to look at a house two miles away. There was a lot wrong with the house, but I love the street and the lot and the neighbors. We called the realtor last Friday to make an appointment to draw up an offer. He called back that evening to tell us the bank had accepted an offer on the house.

Five years ago the house sold for around $190,000. On Friday, a young couple (40s is still young, right?) paid $52,000 cash for the house and were seen in the yard on Friday evening, clearing away debris.

The most disturbing part of the visit to the house was seeing how it had been allowed to deteriorate. Look at that beautiful hardwood floor and all the water damage. Even if I lost a property in foreclosure, I cannot imagine that I would let it go to hell like this. I have too much respect for the history of the house and the residents who had lovingly cared for it before I got there.

The most sobering part of the entire week was looking around my house and realizing how much needed to be done before we could sell or rent it.

I have a new goal in life: To get my house to a condition that if I decided today to buy another house, I could put mine on the market and host potential buyers tomorrow!

I've got a long way to go!!

No comments: