Monday, April 04, 2011

Fitting In

I've written a number of times in this space about feeling, throughout my life, that I didn't fit in. I know I'm not alone. Lots and lots of people don't fit in where they've been dropped on earth.

I loved and respected the environment at Interlochen Arts Academy when my younger son was a student there. That school made it possible for hyper-talented young people who didn't fit in at their home school to meld their lives together and fit together in the creative Eden that is Interlochen Center for the Arts.

I've just finished reading Jodi Piccoult's "Nineteen Minutes." I loved this book!

First, the method Ms. Piccoult used to lead the reader into the mind of the characters was brilliant. I felt such empathy for Peter. I wanted to take Josie out for a mocha and tell her, "You're better than this!"

Second, the topic and Piccoult's treatment of it was riveting. I couldn't put the book down. At times when I would have been listening to something on XMRadio or watching something on television, I was turning on my iPod to get further into the book. And yesterday, while cleaning house, I turned it on to start from the beginning again.

I loved the way Piccoult put her words together. I loved her descriptions of places and things and seasons and feelings.

And, of course, now I've got to explore her body of work and listen to her entire catalog. ("Nineteen Minutes" came out in 2007. Where have I been?!)


What have you been reading?

No comments: