Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The View from my Computer

The practice of working from home requires some adjustment. One is responsible primarily to oneself, and that requires a healthy exercise of integrity. I like integrity.

As I'm swamped with work, I realize how little serious and important (to the organization) work I've been doing for the past six months or so. I love my work, and I love sitting here in my aerie, windows open, breeze drifting through, cats nearby.

Several people said to me, "You can work in your jammies." One person even said, "You should wear your jammies for the first three days, just because you can." Jammies to work is so not my style. When I ran to pick up the Jazzman from his cousin's house last night upon his return from a long weekend in the Hamptons, I threw on a robe and a pair of yoga pants—over nothin'. I knew I would see no one, and it was a three-block drive. But still, it wasn't quite my style.

<Sidebar On>
Although, PianoLady would tell you stories of our 8:00 a.m. piano ensemble class forty-one years ago where we learned Mozart four-hand sonatas and Rachmaninoff piano duets. There are stories of my wearing a trenchcoat over my nightgown for these classes. I look back now and can't believe I ever did that. It must just be an urban myth!
<Sidebar Off>

So I share with you today's View From My Desk: Angel dozing in the window, waking with a start each time a grackle or a robin or a blue jay whizzes by.

This beats shivering in an overcooled cubicle any day!

No comments: