Saturday, May 01, 2010

Is It Fit to Read?

BookshelfEach time Tyler or I move, we talk about books. We discuss the number of books we have, how it makes sense to get rid of them, and how much we love them. We don't want to get rid of them. We are book people. When a colleague told him his books all live in a library and can be checked out when he wants to read them again, Tyler said, "But when someone walks into my home, he can look at my bookshelf and instantly know a lot about me." I like that idea. I like my books. But at the same time, I have too many books. Or not enough bookshelves.

The other day I posted about the crap stuff on my nightstand. I thought you might like to know what all these books are and why they're just sitting there. So here goes. You can help me decide whether they need to go downstairs to my library or out the door to some worthy book-giving organization.

HTML, XHTML & CSS

You're impressed, aren't you, that I listed this one first. This is for my geek side and is brand new. I need it for some work I'm doing for Tyler. It will move to my new desk in my new home office (currently in the back of the TV family room.

Golf for Dummies

Brand new, with accompanying DVD. I'm bound and determined to learn to swing a club respectably before I go with the Jazzman to his summer cottage on the shores of Lake Erie. Note to self: Make time to watch the DVD, and schedule some time at the practice range as soon as Carmina is concluded.

Making the Cat Laugh, by Lynne Truss, 1994

Subtitle: One woman's journal of single life on the margins. From the woman who wrote "Eats, Shoot, and Leaves". A wanna-read, just haven't made the time. Back downstairs to my library.

Risking Everything: 110 Poems of Love and Revelation, Edited by Roger Housden

Recommended to me by my dear friend and teacher, Diane Ericson. I love the poems in this book, and actually gave one to you earlier. I want to spend more time with this book. It can stay.

Ireland, by DK Eyewitness Travel

Ireland trip cancelled. Book goes back downstairs to my library, to the travel book shelf.

Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm, by Jon Katz

I love this man's blog and include it in the feeder on the right side of my blog. Beautiful words; beautiful photography. But I have not enough time, so it's going downstairs onto the "Nexxxxt" stack. (You have to say that with a rising inflection, like the lady behind the counter at the bakery. "Nexxxxt?")

Floor Sample: A creative memoir, by Julia Cameron, the author of "The Artist's Way"

I want to read this, as I also want to work through her Artist's Way and Artist's Way Workbook. Maybe after I retire.

The Grapes of Wrath

My book group chose this last year, but I never get to book group any more because of Monday night conflicts. I started this and got nowhere. Heading downstairs.

Reflections on the Causes of Human Misery and upon Certain Proposals to Eliminate Them, by Barrington Moore, Jr., Pub. 1970.

WTF possessed me to purchase this book?! I must have heard some talk show host discuss it and thought it was pertinent to all my adoption issues. I'm not sure this is ever going to get read, and not sure I would even bother to give it away. It may just go in the trashcan as a lesson on impulse purchases.

Dreams from My Father, by Barack Obama

Another book group book. Probably not going to get read. Too many books, too little time. (Remember when I used to say that about men? Glad that's over!)

Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty TIps for Better Writing, by Mignon Fogarty

This woman has a great podcast that she turned into a book. I refer to it occasionally. It came home from my office and never got past my bedside table. As I glance over, there are a number of other papers and items that came from the office that need to leave the bedroom. Now!

ASP.NET Development with Macromedia DreamWeaver MX

From the old office. Going to the new office. Why is this in the bedroom?!

ASP in a Nutshell

Ditto

The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier: How to solve the mysteries of weak writing, by Bonnie Trenga

Double ditto

Viral Loop: From Facebook to Twitter, how today's smartest businesses grow themselves, by Adam L. Penenberg

Someone somewhere on a plane recommended this book to me. I bought it. I haven't read it. To the office. I should read it.

Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Guterson

Don't remember when or where or why I bought this. It caught my eye. A legal mystery, which I tend to buy and enjoy. Back downstairs for more free time.

Wishful Drinking, by Carrie Fisher

Put this on my wish list after noticing the play adaptation in the NYC theatre district last October when PianoLady and I made our annual trek. Thought I'd enjoy it. Tyler bought it for me for Christmas and remembered to give it to me at Valentine's Day. Notice a trend here? I think we're both too busy. Oh, wait. That's why I'm going to work for him! (I am halfway through this book. Will put it in my music bag for the Hell Week that is ahead.)


And finally …

Puzzle books

As one ages, one should spend some time each day on a puzzle of some sort. I told my manager this when he dinged me on my appraisal last year for doing my daily crossword in awful, interminable, boring meetings. I think he bought my explanation, but he didn't take the ding off my appraisal. And it's no longer my problem!

Current stack: Tri-Doku (throw/give it away—you don't get it!); Fill-In Paint-doku (nah, not gettin' that one either); 10x10 Sudoku (all the easy and medium ones are filled in and you don't like to waste/spend time on the hard ones - trash it); Sudoku to go - Gentle (about five puzzles left in this one—put it in your music bag and finish this week).


Okay, now was that so hard? Oh, wait. As I look down, I see two more Sudokus and a Washington Post crossword compilation. And five catalogs. And four beading and quilting magazines. I'm out of control!!

"Hi. My name is Jan. I'm addicted to the published word."

(Oh, and thanks for your help.)



Oh, dear. An hour later I found one more book under everything I'd been going through on my bed.
The Other Side of Organized: Finding Balance Between Chaos and Perfection; by Linda Samuels

How funny is it that this is the book that got lost under all the clutter?! This is the one PianoLady sent me recently, which I'll get to soonest. I'm sure. I have to!!!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I recently moved the ten books I had on my nightstand to a special shelf - we have book shelves in the livingroom and the hallway - the shelf is for my next read. I left Jeffrey Steingarten THE MAN WHO ATE EVERYTHING my valentine from my honey and Garrison Keillor's PILGRIMS a gfit from Garrison for arranging for his performance in Tucson on the night stand and hope I get started with them soon. Problem is I am not a chapter kind of reader - want the whole story all at once!

Jan Crews said...

Oh, I know, Jill. I read the first chapter of a book I'm interested in, then it's a week before I get back to it. I've got to the read the first chapter over again to remember what it was about. That same first chapter over and over again get kind of boring after a while!

I love that GK gave you one of his books. (Signed, I hope!) How fitting for him.