Friday, October 03, 2008

Where Are They?

Last night I went to Stambaugh Auditorium to a benefit performance by the Capitol Steps for Youngstown/Mahoning Valley United Way. I felt like I was back home in Washington to be hearing the Capitol Steps again. They are an incredibly talented group of performers whose singing is pitch perfect and whose humor hits the mark every time. Of course, this current campaign has given them much material to work with.

The best bit of the evening was the Lirty Dies segment. The gentleman who performed this has a steel trap for a mind. How he remember that whole bit, which seemed to run about five minutes, I can't even imagine. I didn't take the time to visit their table in the Stambaugh foyer to pick up a printed copy of the words, so I'm simply going to have to buy their CD. The words were inspired!

I was privileged to be able to sit on the second row of the audience for this performance. I thought I could buy a ticket at the door, but couldn't, and the lady at the desk gave me a ticket a handsome man had turned in when his wife could not attend because she was out of town. So I sat on the second row and next to a handsome man. Wow!

There were lots of handsome men in attendance, all wearing suits and looking well-groomed, but all with their women. It made me start to thinking, again, about how I'm ever going to meet a nice man with whom to have an occasional dinner or glass of wine and conversation.

Where are the gentleman widowers in this town? Do I have to form an association where you have to show your bank statement, diploma, and résumé to be invited to join? But it's more than that. I've had those three in a man, in several men, and they were not nice men. I want nice, also.

Where is he?

No comments: