Thursday, October 30, 2008

Impulse Purchases Gone Right

I salute the merchandisers at Barnes & Noble. Every so often they put just the right book on display near the register.

A few weeks ago I was in B&N purchasing a few puzzle books to tuck into the boxes Virtual Hold was sending to an Army National Guard troop in Kuwait. As I was preparing to pay for my purchases, I saw Thad Carhart's The Piano Shop on the Left Bank: Discovering a Forgotten Passion in a Paris Atelier.

There are two items at the top of my long list of things-I-love. Those items are Paris and music. To find a book that encompassed both of them—well, I just had to buy it.

I've just now started reading it, and I'm in love with this book. Mr. Carhart talks about seeing a piano shop as he walked his children to and from school in Paris. He deftly describes what it's like to deal with small store owners in France. He describes his childhood piano lessons in Fontainebleau, a city that is very dear to my heart. This book has turned into something I don't want to put down.

The most astonishing section I've read so far was his description of the mover who delivered his piano to his second floor apartment in Paris. He describes how the piano was strapped to the man's back and he muscled it up the stairs, all alone. My shoulders ached after reading this account.

If you love either Paris or music, I think you would enjoy this book.

Now, what are you reading?

2 comments:

Traveler said...

I'm reading Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation: The Definitve Guide to the Evolutionary Biology of Sex.

Traveler













t

Unknown said...

I read a review on this book and thought it was something we'd both enjoy! I've just finished "The Kite Runner" and also "The Bell" by Iris Murdoch. I'm now almost finished with Marilyn Robinson's "Home". It was nominated for the National Book Awards. I fell in love with her writing style in "Gilead" -- which won the Pulitzer Prize.