Thursday, October 30, 2008

Just an Old Softie

My friend, Kathy, invited me to join her tonight to hear the U.S. Marine Band in concert at Stambaugh Auditorium. In a year where performing arts organizations are crying for attendees, Stambaugh was packed.

I had heard this organization in concert many times during the years I lived in D.C. As always, their music is of the highest quality. Of course, hearing them brings John back to me, making me remember how much he loved concerts like this, and making me miss him—always and again.

The "Salute to the Armed Forces" medley brought tears to my eyes, and when they started into "God Bless America" for their encore, I was so choked up I could hardly sing.

How nice to hear rousing music in a beautiful venue surrounded by listeners who are enjoying every minute of the concert.

3 comments:

Traveler said...

Yes, the President's Own! I would have loved to hear them live. I've seen a video of them playing with the Silent Drill Team working their rifle drill to the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Awesome!

Taveler

TJ said...

If there's music playing, then doesn't that make them just a Drill Team?

Jan Crews said...

Watch out, Honey. The Traveler is a former Marine and can whip your butt.