Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mozart on a Small Scale
Continuing Off-Topic

I sang off-and-on for 15 years with The Washington Chorus, which was roughly 200 voices. Then I moved to the Tucson Symphony Orchestra Chorus, which is usually 80 voices, although we keep trying to get to 100. This weekend I'm singing with the Tucson Chamber Artists. The chorus, for this performance, is 30 voices, and is accompanied by a 24-piece orchestra.

The last time I performed the Mozart C-minor Mass, it was on the stage of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, with a full orchestra in front. Performing this work now in such a small group is just incredible. A singer in a small group must work harder than ever to blend, to be one of the ensemble rather than sticking out. The sound is so wonderful, so exciting. I'm absolutely thrilled to have been asked to join this group for these performances.

Truly, a wonderful experience.

No comments: