Saturday, August 21, 2010

Books and Movies

Next Wednesday night is WYSU movie night again. My knitting buddy Melinda works for WYSU and we try to coordinate our movie watching so we at least get that time to socialize every month even if I can't make knitting group. She brings whatever sock or washcloth she's working on at the moment and we sit, watch, and knit. We are the ultimate multitaskers.

This month the movies are "Eat, Pray, Love" and "Nanny McPhee Returns". I'm inclined to see EPL, although Melinda wants to read the book first. I normally prefer to read books first, but for some reason I had no desire to read EPL. I think it's because it was such a phenom, and I tend to shy away from fads—or what I deem to be fads. And I think I'd rather see Nanny McPhee with the g'babes. So I'm not sure how Melinda and I are going to resolve this impasse.

Speaking of phenoms and contradicting myself, I'm listening to "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." I bought the book but just couldn't find the time to sit with it. Then when my Audible subscription renewed, I bought and downloaded it. Now I keep the hardcopy by my bed and reference it when I'm wondering how a name is spelled. I'm having a hard time following the story, and might just listen to it again when I travel back to Asheville next Friday.

I'll be going alone next weekend (unless the Jazzman changes his mind again and decides to eat up a vacation day that would be better spent doing something fun together rather than driving for 8.5 hours and packing boxes) so will have 16-20 hours to listen to audiobooks. I'm torn whether to relisten to "Dragon Tattoo" so I can pick up all the parts I missed, or get the next book in the series (which numerous people have said is better than the first), or to relisten to Musicophilia, in light of Ridley's synesthesia.

Now that I don't have my hellish commute to Akron every day, I don't get to listen to nearly so many books, and I miss that part of my life. But let's see—drive in rain and sleet and snow to listen to books, or work from home? Ahhh, work from home!

What are you reading?

3 comments:

Sparroweye said...

If you once get hooked on the character Lisbeth, then you will have to read them all to see how it ends. I had never enjoyed this type of thriller. But I got hooked. I would vote for Nanny movie. I saw the first one and loved it.

Jill said...

Saw EPL - was pleasant but didn't get what all the fuss was about - 2 friends who read the book say it was MUCH better. Maybe I just don't think about my feelings enough! My latest read was Vanity Fair article about Elizabeth Taylor which lead me to rent and watch GIANT. Very topical even now. Drive safely. xoxo

Jeannie said...

I hear ya Jan! I am listening to a lot less these days too since I stopped my commute and started working from home full time. I miss my audio books but not the commute! Just relistened to Pillars of the Earth and am in the middle of a World Without End. LOVE them! I also want to relisten to the Harry Potter series since I just toured the exhibit at the Toronto Science Centre.

The Girls with the Dragon Tattoo series is on my list and was recommended to me by my daughter. But my next read is an unpublished fictional manuscript written by a friend of mine who is in the process of finding a publisher and an agent. She says writing the book was easier!

I went to see Eat, Pray, Love last week and quite enjoyed it. I was with a group of friends and my daughter and about half of us had read the book. Interestingly enough, my daughter (23 yrs old) was the one who I think least enjoyed the movie although her review was the it was 'ok'. The rest of us ranged in age from 31 to 54 and that is more of the target audience.

"Tis better to live your own life imperfectly than to imitate someone else's perfectly." Eat, Pray, Love