Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wrinkles?

I've always loved the mellow voice of Andy Williams. I remember watching his television program when I was a teenager, fantasizing about appearing on his program. This week Andy Williams was featured on CBS Sunday Morning. I marveled at his smooth skin, then heard the narrator mention that he is 82 years old. Wait. He's more than 20 years older than I, but he has no wrinkles. Zero.

I'm thinking one cannot get to be 82 years of age with that few wrinkles unless a scalpel was involved.

It's not that he looks bad. He looks darned good—for a man of 52. Not a man of 82.

I sometimes think of getting collagen injections to get rid of these sagging lines on either side of my mouth. And as much as I dislike tattoos, I think about getting permanent eyeliner.

But a facelift? I've seen the videos of plastic surgery, the peeling away of the skin, the horror stories of before and after. I've seen the photos of Barry Manilow and Kenny Rogers and Melanie Griffith.

Can I be anti-facelift and still be pro-collagen and pro-permanent-eyeliner without be hypocritical?

It all leaves me with one question: whatever happened to aging gracefully?

(Question of the day: Would you have elective plastic surgery?)

No comments: