Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oh, My Aching Back!

When I left work last night, the rain was falling. I parked outside Jo-Ann Fabrics and went in to see if they had any decent cotton/Lycra knit I could use for a new dress for Ridley.

As I walked through the door, my feet went out from under me and I landed with a crash on the floor. Wet shoes. Wet floor. Some combination these factors forced me to my butt on the floor. This is now the third time in the past six months that I have fallen—twice in my home and once in public. In my home, alone, it's frightening. In public, it's embarrassing. I have decided I need to always carry my phone as I walk around my home, in order to call for help if the fall is too bad. In public, I stand up as quickly as possible and go on about my business as if nothing happened.

But today, sixteen hours post-fall, I started carrying some drawers from the basement to the new sewing space on the second floor. I could hardly climb the stairs! My back felt like it was going to seize up.

I'm only 59 years old. The lovely lady from whom I bought my home, after her fall, was 92. Is this how it starts? Do I have 30+ years of falling ahead?

How does this happen?! I don't think I'm careless. I think I walk with care. But here I am, in a lot of pain, looking for painkillers and heating pads.

Have I mentioned? Aging sucks!

1 comment:

Mary Lindley said...

Oh Jan - I am sorry. Needless to say, I can more than relate to this post. I actually don't think it's an aging thing. But its effects take you from feeling invincible, to feeling very vulnerable. It's been six months, and I'm still not where I was. Please be careful. Hugs, Mary