Thursday, September 10, 2009

Readin', Ridin', and no 'Rithmetic

I'm off to Asheville, NC, this afternoon to attend and play the piano for my aunt's memorial service on Saturday afternoon. Okay, when in Rome, I'll do as the Romans do—"Sabbath afternoon". I'll return partway on Saturday night and the rest of the way on Sunday, in time to make a 2:00 p.m. chorus rehearsal in Cleveland.

I got book-happy on Audible last night, lest I get bored for a moment while driving. I have a very eclectic book list at the moment. See what interests you here:
  • Julie and Julia, Julie Powell

  • Loving Frank, Nancy Horan

  • The Patron Saint of Liars, Ann Patchett

  • Run, Ann Patchett

  • Ted Kennedy, Edward Klein

Left over, not yet read or not yet finished, from my last purchase are:
  • Alex Cross's Trial, James Patterson and Richard DiLallo

  • FREE: The Future of a Radical Price, Chris Anderson

  • Homer & Langley, E.L. Doctorow

And one more to reread when I'm bored with all else:
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain, Garth Stein


I've been reading the Patterson/DiLallo for several days, but parts of it are very hard to listen to. I hate and despise, loath and abhor cruelty, and to hear what man was capable of doing to man at an earlier time in our history is excruciatingly painful.

So this morning I paused "Alex Cross" and turned to "Loving Frank." Oh, how I love the artistry and engineering of Frank Lloyd Wright. I fantasize having the wealth to hire an architect to design a house inspired by the work of FLW. In almost one hour of listening this morning, I'm smitten with this book. I think I'm going to be sorry to turn into my mother's driveway tonight, as I won't want to stop listening. This book was recommended to me by a sorority sister and new friend I met in West Virginia last weekend. I saw her twice, and I think she mentioned the book to me three times, so I think she liked it as much as I do.

What would you read, given my list? Or what is on your nightstand that you can't stand to put down?

No comments: