Friday, April 27, 2012

What Goes Around, Comes Around

P.S. (Pre Script): I hate it when computers think they're smarter than you, and I don't much like change. Blogger has changed their way of doing things, and forced me to upgrade my account to their new ways. I was paging through old posts this morning, enjoying reliving some fun moments of the past, when I found this post I wrote but never published. I believe this was written in January of 2008. But when I hit Publish, Blogger changed the date it was written. Dang. Anyway, here's where my mind was four years ago.

Ten years ago in June, my life turned upside down when John died. A couple of weeks prior to this, Tyler graduated from Youngstown State University. He had been invited to audition at the Peabody Institute and Julliard, but didn't get into those graduate programs. He was able to get a job teaching software classes for Catapult Learning in Washington, DC. On July 4th, Tyler and Jaci moved in with me in our beautiful house on Irving Street, overlooking the National Zoo.

This three-story house with English basement was built around 1917 and had fabulous paneling and narrow strip hardwood floors. The third floor was a self-contained apartment, with living room with fireplace, full kitchen, small bedroom, large bath, and a sleeping porch that was used to store all sorts of junk. From the bedroom windows, if you craned your neck just so, you could see the fireworks on the Mall on the Fourth of July.

We lived together for about a year, and the only occupants of the house who didn't get along famously were the cats.

Now Tyler and Jaci have asked me if I'd like to repeat that arrangement, and after much discussion and much thought, I believe this is what we're going to do.

No comments: