Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Two Words

I like doing things for people. And I shun praise, notoriety and general pedestal-standing. My sons will quickly tell you that I like being in the background. I like being in the chorus and providing support to my children. I like being an accompanist rather than a soloist. And I like the feeling of sharing things with people whom I believe will appreciate them.

My cyber-fiber-friend Lynne, a truly amazing woman, wrote a blog post today that resonated with me. The buyer of the cups wisely knew she'd appreciate these cups more than those young women, then she generously shared them with the people who meant the most to her.

Lynne is someone I love sharing my things with, because she, in turn, shares them with others. She uses my neglected fabric to make quilts for kids in foster care; she uses my abandoned jewelry-making supplies to foster artistic desires in women who are beating substance addiction. Lynne is truly a loaves-and-fishes kinda gal. She impacts scores of people, who will in turn impact generations to come. To me, upon receiving my packages, she says Thank You and warms my heart.

Long-time visitors to this site know that I'm not close to my mother. Saying "I love you" is grudgingly done in response to her infrequent "I love you"s. I feel no love for her. But I am grateful. Whenever we spend time together, I tell her thank you—thank you for taking me to piano lessons, for signing me up for my first Singer sewing class, for making my recital dresses, for attending all those interminable piano recitals, for schlepping me here and there without complaint or comment.

It costs me nothing. And it makes a big difference. At least I think it does.

1 comment:

Lynne Farrow said...

As always, thank you. What a lovely post. I love sharing with the women at the Lighthouse that they have an art patron in Ohio and that even though they feel confined in the program at times, they have the ability to impact the world. Thanks for helping to empower them!