Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Open and Shut

I've been trying to get through John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany". When I downloaded it, I was thinking I had read some John Irving in the past and enjoyed it. Now, looking back to wonder why on earth I wanted to read this book, I search his bibliography and realize I've never read any of his works. Hmm, wonder who I was thinking of!

I rarely put down a book once I've started it. But in the past year I think I've given up on released back to the universe several books that just weren't compelling to me.

What did I download to replace Irving on my iPhone? Four Nora Roberts novels - The Bride Quartet. Call it Chick Lit if you must, but I have always loved her writing. Maybe it's formulaic, but I don't care. I escape from my world when I'm listening to her works. I fantasize being able to write a quarter as good (and as prolifically) as she does. Okay, so she won't win a Pulitzer, but she draws me in.

I simply must learn to not feel guilty when I put a book down for the final time even though I'm less than halfway through. The author will get his or her share of the money, and I'll move on.

What are you reading this snowy day?

4 comments:

elecpenciljim said...

I've had a hard time reading Irvin's newer books. I loved, "Setting Free the Bears" best. I don't read much fiction except for anything by Tom Robbins.

Jan Crews said...

I read Orson Scott Card's "Lost Boys' a while back and just loved it. May have to pick up his latest. (Just read of his 1/1/11 stroke while searching for the title. Wish him speedy rehabilitation.)

Jan Crews said...

PianoLady, who doesn't like to post here, e-mailed: "And, because you asked, I'm currently reading, "By Nightfall" -- Michael Cunningham (author of "The Hours") and was reading it until about 1:30 am this morning."

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read Diana Gabaldon? I found her a few years ago and love her time travel/romance/historical fiction series Voyager. She, as you say, "draws me in." I couldn't put any of the books down.