Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Memories of Holidays Past

As I was thinking about the quiet (and delightful) evening I shared with the Jazzman on New Year's Eve, I reminisced back to the best and worst NYE's I had experienced. The absolute worst occurred while I've been writing this blog.

Here's the link.

(And if you want to read more about this guy, type kayaker into the search bar of my blog. I realize now that's how he was referred to earlier in the blog's existence. He's the one who told me I had poor taste in men!)

The best NYE party was during the two years I was living with John and we were housesitting on Lamont St. NW for friends who were in India with the State Department. We had about 14 friends come over. We all went to the theatre, then came home to a seated dinner in the grand dining room of this stately DC rowhouse. During dinner, John's future son-in-law announced his engagement to John's daughter. It was a fabulous, festive evening.

However, I actually prefer something a little quieter.

I was sorry we missed the traditional evening that the Jazzman's circle of friends always enjoys. But here's what we did: There's a pizza place on Hilton Head, at the entrance to Sea Pines, named "Take and Bake". You tell them what size pizza you want, what crust, and what toppings. They prepare it for you on a special heat-proof styrofoam-like platter that's a little larger than the crust. You take it home and bake it. Magnificent! While eating, we sipped adult beverages and watched "Love Actually", which I love, actually. After the movie, we cleaned up the unit and packed our things, watched the ball drop, and fell asleep—after midnight, which is unusual for me!

Today is the one-year anniversary of my first communication with the Jazzman. I am living a charmed life with a wonderful, caring, supportive, loving man. I am truly lucky!

And a Happy New Year to you!

No comments: