Wednesday, December 08, 2010

It's a Small World After All

Tonight is the "Holiday Movie Magic" concert at Severance Hall. I missed the Conductor's Piano Rehearsal (known as CPR) on Monday night, as I had to accompany a Stambaugh Chorus performance.

When I arrived at dress rehearsal last night, a fellow chorus member came up to me and said, "The conductor wants to see you." Immediately my heart started pounding. Was the guest conductor not going to allow anyone who missed CPR to sing the concert? But our chorus manager knew I was going to be absent and our director had approved my absence. My mind just raced.

I googled the conductor and learned he lives in Los Angeles and does a lot of work with Pacific Symphony, where my friend Eileen is Vice President of Artistic and Orchestra Operations. I started thinking maybe Eileen had told him to look me up.

At rehearsal break, I went to the front of the stage and introduced myself. As soon as I said my name, his face broke into an enormous smile and he said, "Eileen says hello."

It made my day! Eileen and I worked together at the Tucson Symphony, and I bought her house in midtown Tucson when she moved to Orange County.

I love the small musical world we live in. Just love it!

No comments: