Monday, September 27, 2010

A Quarter-Angel

I had grandma duty over the weekend, while my grandchildren's parents headed to a remote Pennsylvania cabin to celebrate their 12th anniversary with six of their nearest and dearest friends.

It turned out to be a weekend filled with laundry and kid activities. Lots of laundry. And lots of kid activities. Birthday parties. Ballet rehearsals. Play dates.

When I was stripping my bed on Sunday morning to return the Grandma Suite to its normal pristine condition, I found a quarter on the mattress pad. I wondered if it was a test to see if I cleaned up after myself. My second thought was that it was a sign. Let's see, what could it be a sign of? A sign that I'm a good grandma? A sign that I will soon get out of my financial funk? I shoved it deep into my jeans pocket and smiled, willing to accept either sign.

The parents arrived home around 10:15 on Sunday night, and a very tired aging grandma went home, where she found that her sweetheart had done all the laundry and the grocery shopping. Talk about Good Guy Points! His bank account is overflowing!!

This morning I woke up after a much-needed good night's sleep in my own bed. I swung my feet to the floor, sat up, and looked down. A quarter! There was a quarter on the floor!

I'm starting to think there are "Angels Watchin' Over Me", as the old song says, leaving quarters to let me know I'm on the right track to financial solvency.

Or that I can't hold my money!

No comments: