Sunday, December 07, 2008

The Piano as Blanket

Yes, I've been quiet lately. I've been learning a ton o' music, practicing up on my sight-reading, and getting my fingers back in shape.

I was privileged this afternoon to accompany the students of Craig Raymaley and Amanda Beagle in their studio Christmas recital. The children, ranging in age from seven through high school, were darling and all did a fabulous job.j

I love accompanying. I feel it's my gift—to be sensitive to what the vocalist is doing and support him or her.

In one of our rehearsals this weekend, Amanda said to one of her students, "Just think of that piano as a big blanket, keeping you warm." What a lovely way to put it (especially in this frigid, snowy weather).

To do what I love doing, what I've very good at doing, and get paid for it? Life doesn't get any better than this!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AMEN! Can we keep doing this for 20+ more years?????

I'm working on a HUGE program for the high school right now, including a samba by Henry Mancini,
"The Hands of Winter" -- by Mark Hayes, "One Day More" from Les Miz, "Deck the Halls", "Come, Sing, and Be Joyful" by Vivaldi, etc. I want to feel comfortable and at ease at the keyboard and bring my own personality into the interpretation of each song -- it's a challenge at 58!

Love,
PL