Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Quiet Day

Today is a rare gift—a quiet day to do whatever I want. Yesterday I visited Designing Woman in Fairlawn and got some beautiful wool yarn in dark brown, orange, and coffee. This morning I'm sitting in front of the television, making a scarf to go with my rust Eileen Fisher short coat.

I watched Citizen Kane, but didn't get as much out of it as most people do. Last night I went to the WYSU Members' Movie Night and saw Nights in Rodanthe. (By the way, I didn't see any good-looking, age-appropriate single men there, contrary to my hopes. I guess if I had seen the Western instead of the Romance, my chances would have been greater.)

Watching two movies in such a short period of time made me think about my favorite movie scenes. So, today I'll give you a meme of five of my favorite movie scenes. (I'm sure there are many more, but these are what come to mind right now.)

  1. The West Side Story dance scene with water hose from Sleeping With the Enemy. Love that music, loved the creativity of that scene.

  2. From Joe Versus the Volcano, the scene in the California restaurant where Angelica, the ditzy California blond Meg Ryan character, says, "I have no response to that." Love that line—it covers a multitude of uncomfortable situations.

  3. Another Meg Ryan fave: In You've Got Mail, when Joe tells Kathleen he wishes they could be together, and says, "And then all we'd ever argue about is what movie to rent on a Saturday night." I love that line. I had that kind of marriage. Oh, how I miss it.

  4. The Housesitter is another favorite movie to watch while sewing. I love the scene where Newton brings home Chinese takeout, fulfilling Gwen's dream.

  5. A new fave, from last night's Nights in Rodanthe is when Adrienne is telling her daughter, about the man she loved and lost. "There's another kind of love." She talks about the kind of love that makes us want to be our best selves. (I can't find the exact quote; I may have to rent this movie when it's released to capture that line.) It made me compare and constrast my four marriages. Numbers one through three were to men who cared more about themselves than anyone else. Marriage number four was between two people who put each other first and cared more about their partner's comfort and happiness than their own.


What are some of your faves?

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

My all time favourite scene? From a John Wayne western I saw with my Dad. True Grit. LOVE that movie! And the best scene is when Rooster (John Wayne) gets on the ferry to go into the badlands to catch the bad guys and refuses to take young Mattie any further with him. She has hired him to catch her father's killers and bring them to justice. Anyway, he tells her that is as far as she can go. It isn't safe and won't let her on the ferry to cross the river. So, she rides her horse upstream and swims him across the river and is waiting for the ferry when it reaches the other side! My kind of determined, stubborn young woman! lol!

Jeannie said...

And then there is Pay It Forward. If you have not watched this movie you must. In my opinion it should be mandatory viewing in every middle school in the country! My fav scene? When the young boy explains his project. It is a wonderful movie!

Jeannie said...

Wait, wait, WAIT!!! Just one more!! From Sex In The City movie this summer! When the lovely blonde Samantha is breaking up with her boyfriend and she tells him: "I love you, but I love me more." :-)

Ok ... I am stopping now!

Jan Crews said...

Oh yes, I love Pay It Forward. Such an important concept and one I try to practice all the time with my children.

Thanks, Jeannie!