Thursday, June 06, 2013

The Calm After the Storm

I'm sitting on the back porch after this afternoon's rainstorm, finishing a glass of a lovely Sauvignon blanc that was a gift from Saturday night's dinner guests. (This was the coolest bottle of wine. It had a glass stopper rather than a cork. I think I'll start using it as a carafe d'eau on the dinner table.)

As I watch the chipmunks chasing each other around the yard and the robins searching for worms, I'm reminded of the last two times I watered my hosta bed while waiting for this storm system to come our way.

No sooner had I stretched out the hose and started the sprayer than a robin hopped onto the lawn about 10 feet away from me, waiting for the worms to surface.

Who knew birds understood cause-and-effect? I sure didn't!

I guess "birdbrain" is no longer a slur.

(As I was typing this post, two chipmunks went tearing across the porch and ran up the wall behind me. I think I startled them as much as they startled me!)

No comments: