Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Words

Let me just begin by saying the Jazzman thought it was a snoozefest. But I loved it.

I am not a movie critic. I've said many times that I go to movies and read books primarily for the escapism. Seeing how other people's lives are depicted by the writers lets me imagine that, with a little more hard work, I could have more. Or it makes me appreciate what I have and feel grateful that my life has been this good.

Imagine my surprise when I was noticing lighting and pacing and wardrobe when we watched "The Words" yesterday. So out of character for me!

I loved the lighting. Subtle. Smoky. To me, it felt very intimate.

And the wardrobe! The period costumes were fabulous. The little details in the dresses captured my sewist's heart. Oh, the bodice of wedding dress—I wanted to run home and duplicate it in my sewing room. It was charming.

The pacing of the dialog is something I've never noticed before. Well, except for TV shows and movies where the characters speak so quickly I can't understand what they're saying. This movie had pauses and rests that let me ponder what I had just heard and witnessed, rather than just rushing through to the next scene. I can see why the Jazzman thought it was slow, but I enjoyed it greatly.

Now here's what surprised me. When we ran into my son at the Northside Farmer's Market in the early afternoon, I told him we were going to see this movie and asked if he wanted to accompany us. He said he didn't like movies where people lie. Such plot lines always make him uncomfortable and he sits on the edge of his seat and wants to get out of there. It shocked me because I feel the same way.

Where did this come from? Was it my early "don't tell a lie" training when he was 2 or 3 or 4? Is it a genetic thing? Is it a personality thing? Who would ever have guessed that this was a thing we have and share?!

I was relieved when that was not the way this movie turned out—not the focus of the plot line. I loved how they wove the three books together, and how it all turned out. I'm not giving you any spoilers. And I'm not telling you to go to the theatre to see it, because many people haven't liked it. But when it comes out on video, I'll be downloading it to watch again!

No comments: