Thursday, February 09, 2012

Doing What One Needs to Do

May I make a confession? I hate exercise. I have never enjoyed exercise, ever in my entire life. In Pathfinders (the Adventist equivalent of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts), I ran the 100 yard dash and did the high jump and broad jump and got lots of blue ribbons for swimming competitions. And I like to walk. But to tie on a pair of track shoes and actually walk out the door? That doesn't happen easily.

The Jazzman and I joined the JCC about six weeks ago. I've been averaging once a week for hitting the treadmill. Not so good for the amount of money the membership cost. I kept looking at the class schedule, and decided to try a cardio class. I'm 61, after all. I don't have the lung capacity I used to have, which is a bit of a challenge when singing. So I went to Cardio Low a week ago. And I lived through it.

So I went again on Friday, and a friend of mine showed up for the class. And the people in the class are all so friendly and helpful and encouraging to me. And the teacher is friendly and nice. And I was proud of myself for making it through the class.

So I went Monday. And I went Wednesday, even with a headache.

I think I can do this.

You know what one of my motivating factors is? The thought that by the time I hit 62 I might not have wings hanging down from my upper arms.

That's a noble goal, dontcha think?

1 comment:

Ypsi said...

The upper-arm wings comment just inspired ME! Once my throat stops feeling like I'm swallowing pebbles, I'll get back to the Y. Good for you for joining the J :)